Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What Christmas Means to Me

What a wonderful time of year this is! Christmas is my favorite time of year. It is because we take the time to commemorate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Last year, as I was "great with child" I pondered on the birth of the Savior and gained a greater understanding for his mother, Mary. As I neared delivery, I didn't have to travel on a donkey. When the time came, I simply slid into the car and Jay drove me a few miles to the hospital. I gave birth in a clean, warm hospital with doctors, nurses, and an anesthesiologist. Mary gave birth to the Son of God in a cold, smelly stable with only the animals and her husband Joseph to attend her.

Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, was born in the most humble of circumstances, yet He is mightier than us all. Without Him, without his Atonement for our sins, we would be forever separated from our Heavenly Father and subject to Satan. Although I cannot fully comprehend the immense suffering and pain that Jesus endured, I do comprehend His love for me. I feel His love in my daughter's smile, as I kneel to pray, and when I read His holy words in the scriptures. We are so blessed to live on the earth today, to enjoy the blessings of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.

He bled and died on the cross, but that was not the end. He lives! He rose the third day, and we too will live again. Death is not the end. My Great Grandma Dorothy passed away on Christmas Day 1993. I remember her death not with sadness during this season, but with hope as I know that I will see her again someday.

This Christmas season, I plead with you to get down on your knees and express gratitude to your Heavenly Father for the many blessings that you enjoy, especially for the birth of His Son.

2 comments:

Wright Bunch said...

Beautiful! thank you for this message. It was sure great to see you guys the other day, Lucy is an angel. Let us know when you're coming out this way again!

Kaeli said...

Thank you! Merry Christmas!